Monday, March 15, 2010

Spin Cycle: Behind the Scenes @ Bano Bits



Behind the scenes, huh? Like there's something special or amazing going on that people are dying to discover? Sorry folks, it's like Oz here--just little old me behind a curtain with a big booming microphone known as the blogosphere.

My blog started out as a few different things. At one point it was going to be a way to let family and friends know what was happening in my life. However, since no one really read it (and since I very rarely updated it), that fell to the wayside. Later I picked it back up as a way to share my art and photography, but again, if no one knows you exist, there's really no point.

Baby is what really got things moving for me blog-wise. I had been reading some "mommy blogs" out there and just loved how they expressed their trials, tribulations, joys and celebrations on their sites. The humor and wit kept me coming back. I wondered, Hey, could I do that? Well, maybe I wasn't going to make anyone laugh as hard as some of you guys have made me laugh, but I figured it would be a fun experiment. Plus, it was a great way to express what I've been going through with the pregnancy. I hoped for feedback from others and, much to my surprise, I got some.

I like blogging but sometimes I wish I could say more, especially about work. There are some days I just need to VENT about that place! Buuuuut, VodkaMom has been put through the ringer due to sharing too much about work and had some great advice about how to avoid letting it happen to you. I took the advice and also decided that having pseudonyms would help ensure that I don't become "discovered," although I'm sure someday it's bound to happen anyway. Fortunately I'm not Dooce or anything, so I doubt anyone I know is going to find this place, put two and two together, and out me to the world. I mean, they'd actually have to FIND it first!

That's pretty much it. I intend to keep blogging now that I have a little community that I enjoy sharing with. Baby will probably make it difficult to keep up with (if she ever comes...) but I know you all understand. That's part of what makes the community so awesome. Support from strangers--who would have thought it would be so important to me?!

8 comments:

VandyJ said...

I like the mommy blogger community too. Makes me feel a lot less alone on the mom journey.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oh, yeah, I've heard Vodka's story firsthand. (Love her, she's the real deal!) Sometimes, it's hard to maintain an alter-ego, which is I never discuss work and keep the nastiness down to a minimum.
Now, with little Baby Bano's arrival so near, you may find it harder to reach out, but when you do, we'll be hanging onto your stories! You're linked!

Bill Lisleman said...

came over here from Sprite's place.
The mommy community even lets a few dads join in once in awhile. I think moms are better at leaving comments too.
Well all the best with the baby. It's a special event that changes everything - but you have already heard that I'm sure.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

It's fun to have other mommys and people to converse with. I've left work off the table too. Sometimes I "vent" a little or write about something that happened at work, but..yeah...I don't want to get fired!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a wonderful feeling that you can not only find others going through the same things as you, but also a great support system to boot? I'll have a look around! Thanks!

Casey said...

It is great to know someone out there is actually listening. Woot woot.

Stacy Uncorked said...

It's so encouraging when you read other blogs that you can relate to - like yours! :) And the people and fellow bloggers in the blogosphere? Priceless! ;)

Cajoh said...

Stopping by from Sprite's Keeper…

I normally do not blog about work (aren't you supposed to not take your work home with you anyway). I may mention a co-worker and what they may have said, but I don't gripe about work (That's what HR is supposed to be for).

It's always nice to get feedback from others who are going through similar experiences.

Thanks for sharing,