Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Spin Cycle: Pet Peeves

I have several pet peeves. You can find some examples here and here. But if you are one of the 3 people (Woohoo! 3 whole people!) that have read those already, here's more recent  peeve 'o mine.

Yesterday I had one of my regular checkups to ensure Baby and I are cohabitating nicely. After the nurse weighed me, checked my blood pressure and the baby's heartbeat, I got to wait for the doctor. No biggie, except while I waited patiently but uncomfortably BECAUSE I AM PREGNANT I could hear an entire conversation between my doctor and the nurses. That lasted for like 5 minutes. Which is forever in "I'm waiting for the doctor" time. Especially when the only thing to look at is the giant, detailed poster of a vagina plastered to the door.

Normally I really don't mind waiting for things. I'm actually a pretty patient person. (You kind of have to be to teach middle school. Or almost any grade level, really.) But the conversation I overheard was about Avatar. The movie. With the big blue aliens. I loved the movie and thought the 3-D was cool but ARE YOU REALLY MAKING ME WAIT IN THIS ROOM WITH A VAGINA POSTER AND PEA-SIZED BLADDER WHILE YOU TALK ABOUT A FRIGGIN' MOVIE? REALLY?!

All I know is that it had better not happen when I am delivering Baby or I will rip someone a new one (before Baby rips me a new one. Oh yes, I went there.)

10 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Why is it that the doctors take forever when you want to get to it right away and somehow know to come right in when you're getting your yearly and wishing for a fire to put THAT chore off for another couple of months? You're linked!

Casey said...

I HATE waiting for doctors but unfortunately, I've done it way too often. (Wait until you have your kid and you'll find yourself at the pedi ALL THE TIME). I once walked out of a dermatologist appt after waiting for over an hour before being brought back and then another thirty minutes in the exam room. Then I heard the Dr on his cell phone discussing his weekend plans and chatting someone up. I was pissed and left (on shaky legs since I'm usually not confrontational).

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

Love this! You're right, doctors are very good at making us wait. Sometimes I hate being a woman.

Laufa said...

It won't be the Dr's that make you wait, it will be your kid.
You could have made an Avatar comment to let them know their personal conversation was overheard, since you were waiting close enough to hear it.
Welcome to the Spin!

gretchen said...

The other day I was stuck in my doctor's office with nothing to stare at but diagrams of skin cancer legions. Which tends to make one paranoid, and start inspecting every mole. But at least while waiting there, my doctor was...working.

Cajoh said...

When I was a teen, my mother and I were waiting at the Dermatologist. The whole time we were doing a drum-roll rim-shot whenever we heard someone approaching the door. We must have done it a good 10 times. I'm sure the moment we stopped goofing around is when the doctor actually came in.

Ginger@When Ginger snaps... said...

My hairdresser used to do this to me. There I would sit, with bits of hair pulled through his cap, patiently waiting for him to continue, while he wandered all over the salon, telling all of "his girls" about his fabulous weekend, or his dog's latest ailment, or his speeding ticket, or blah blah blah.

Needless to say, I found another hairdresser. (And this could have been my pet peeve topic! There are so many to choose from!)

VandyJ said...

the dentists are the ones I hate. They always have to wait for the shot to take effect. I think they go out to get coffee or something.

Erin@TheLocalsLoveIt said...

They should swap those posters out for gian penis posters and see if anyone notices.

Did you say anything when they finally came in? About the movie of course.

Bano said...

I probably should have said something, but I'm no good with confrontation (big or small). Me = total wuss.